Tuesday, August 16, 2011

New Acquisitions

Just in case you haven't heard, Borders is going out of business. For some of you that might not be that big of a deal, but for those of us in Ann Arbor, Michigan, it's a huge deal. Border's started in Ann Arbor and it's headquarters is (oops....was) in Ann Arbor. We had two "Big Box" stores here, which are now both shutting down. I don't remember how many people are now without jobs in the area, but it has hit the area hard. Nate and I decided to go to their out of business sales and see what books were still available and I have gotten two new cookbooks that I'm really excited about. I've mentioned that my biggest vice is reality TV...I may have mentioned that before...and one of my favorite new reality shows is Rocco's Dinner Party. In one of the episodes, Rocco requires the contestants to keep all of the recipes below 350 calories for his health conscious guests. Throughout the competition, Rocco shamelessly plugged his new cookbook Now Eat This! When we walked into Border's I saw the book and knew immediately that I had to get it because, of course, it's an amazig cookbook, not because Rocco has any sort of influence over me....not at all! And this week, most of our meals have been from this book.  On Saturday I made Deep Dish Pizza, yesterday we had Charred Beef Burgers with Baba Ghanoush (I will have you know I made HOMEMADE baba ghanoush! For those of you that have made it already, I can hear your, "Whatev..." from here...for those of you that haven't made it...it's pretty easy, but if you want to think of me as the mom in the Rice Krispy treat commercial, that's fine too).  Tonight is Eggplant "Manicotti". Manicotti is in quotes because you actually thinly slice the eggplant, bake it in the oven and then use that in place of manicotti noodles. The recipes have been very good thus far and I'm looking forward to making others....but right now I have to figure why a "dead fish" smell is being emitted from the dog.... not pleasant at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading my blog! I welcome your comments as we all are on the journey of life together.