Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Awkward moments

Don't you hate it when you get your hair done (trimmed/cut/colored/shaved, whatever the case may be) over the weekend and then you return to work on Monday and face the jury of your workmates?  I've been on both sides of the situation. When someone gets their hair done and I say, "Wow! You got your hair cut!" Notice that I haven't said that it looks nice, or that it becomes them. I just stated a fact. Today, I received a few of those comments regarding my hair. If you remember, Friday night I colored it "Auburn Brown." As someone said today..."Um.... what color did you color your hair?"

"Auburn Brown."


"um.... THAT'S not Auburn Brown...that's more......"  and their voice trails off and I think they are maybe hoping that a gigantic hole in the middle of the floor will swallow them whole and they will be able to escape the conversation when they realize that I am not going to give them any help in filling in the blank with what we both obviously see as the true color of my hair: purple... but of course, because I'm only hoping to eventually be like Jesus, I challenge them and say, "more what?" They look for a way of escape and say "um.... more... black??" I finally help the person out and say, "do you mean purple?"  They pretend to just notice the purple and make some lame comment about how they hadn't noticed it until I said something....right..... sure....uh-huh.... I totally believe you....

How about the comments like, "I wish I had the guts to do that to my hair!" Hmmm..... really?  Is that a compliment? One girl said, "Wow! Your hair is a different color! Was it that color when you came in this morning?"  I looked at her and said, "No, I was the science experiment for the day."When I told her that it was purple, she said, it's not purple, it's maroon.  Maroon?  Isn't maroon a purple red color?  Wikipedia gives this beautiful chart showing the different shades of maroon:
  • Bright Maroon (Crayola Maroon) (Hex: #C32148) (RGB: 195, 33, 72)
  • Rich Maroon (Maroon (X11)) (web color) (Hex: B03060#) (RGB: 176, 48, 96)
  • Maroon (HTML/CSS) (web color) (Hex: #800000) (RGB: 128, 0, 0)


I think purple hair makes me more bold and more sarcastic. My husband loves it. He said he loves being married to someone who is willing to do stuff like this. You mean, save money or live dangerously and color your hair "auburn brown" only for it to turn purple?

On the whole, people insist they like my hair. Me thinks they insisteth too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading my blog! I welcome your comments as we all are on the journey of life together.