Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Thunder

I love thunder. I don't know why, but I always have. Yesterday a severe storm came through our area. Let me just take a minute to say "Thank You, God for the rain!" We REALLY need it. While I was at work yesterday morning the sky grew black. And I mean BLACK!It literally looked like it was the middle of the night outside at 11:00 in the morning. And then I heard the thunder. I don't know why it does this for me, but it calms me. I guess a better description is that it centers me. Does that make sense? It makes me remember what really matters. Once again, I really have no idea why. I remember when I was young, we lived in an old farm house in rural Illinois. Without air conditioning, you of course are sleeping with the windows open and hoping for a breeze. One night the storm woke me up. Instead of shutting the windows, I opened them wider and curled up at the end of the bed and just watched and listened. I felt such peace. My mom came in and found me laying there with the window wide open, the rain coming in and she chastised me for not shutting the window. My feeble explanation that I liked listening to the thunder didn't wash with her desire to not have water coming in to the house. Even to this day, when I have my own house, I am tempted to open all the windows as wide as possible and find the best location to sit and watch and listen to the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading my blog! I welcome your comments as we all are on the journey of life together.