Sunday, January 29, 2012

Band-aids and other important info items for the Chicago Marathon

I went to a meeting yesterday to get all fired up and excited about running the Chicago Marathon. Instead, I learned some crazy things. I've also been reading some blogs that have made me wonder why I have signed up to torture myself in this manner.

First of all, I will need band-aids. They had us raise our hands if we knew what the band-aids were for and I proudly raised mine believing that if I fell and scraped my knee, it would be nice to have a band-aid handy. And then they told a story about a guy that ran a marathon and as he crossed the finish line, he had blood stains on the front of his shirt right in the boobage region. Really?  I would like to avoid bleeding from my nipples, so I guess that putting band-aids on will be beneficial, but I must say that I have serious doubts about their adhesive powers. I ran yesterday for 4.18 miles. I ran for 45 minutes and cooled down for 5. I was sweating like I was in a sauna. I had sweat coming off my nose, for goodness sake! My earbuds won't even stay in my ears as I run that long because they get all slimy with sweat. How in the world will a band-aid stay on my body for hours let alone 45 minutes?

Another tip I have learned from reading a blog is that you should have energy chews to eat on the journey.... and where, pray tell, will I store those? In my bra, according to Keight Dukes, who writes a hysterical blog here. So, now my question is, once again, how in the world will the band-aids stay on if I'm also using that same general area as a storage facility? At this point, you may be wondering, if I heard anything else about the race other than the band-aid part, and I've gotta say nothing else made the impression upon me like that piece of information.

All of this to say, even if I'm bleeding from the nipple region, I'm really humbled to think that I could be a part of an effort that will help two towns in Zambia have clean water so that the girls won't have to walk as far and so they will now be able to go to school instead. I'm blown away by being part of such an effort. And if that's not enough to get people on board, the fact that Lou Malnati's is sponsoring the after-feast is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading my blog! I welcome your comments as we all are on the journey of life together.