Monday, April 23, 2012

Major Disconnect

I'm running every other day and I'm strength training the other days and taking one day off each week. However, you'd never know it by looking at the scale. With all of the working out I'm doing,  to say I'm starving is an understatement. To say that I am not making wise choices in the food I'm eating is also an understatement. There's a huge disconnect going on between my stomach and my mind. Somewhere I come to a justification that I need to eat with all the exercise that I'm doing. And why doesn't the other voice pipe up and say, "Really? Why are you doing all the exercise in the first place?" So, here we are at the beginning of another week. I have good food choices for every meal sitting in the fridge. I have Weight Watchers Vegetable soup, which is actually quite tasty. I have black beans that I add to it for additional protein. I have enough lettuce to make salads each and every day. I usually start the week out with such good intentions and by 11AM on Monday, they are all for naught. So, although it is my habit to make blanket decisions for weeks on end, I'm reminding myself that today is all I'm promised. Today is what I'm responsible for. I'm telling myself to stop thinking about tomorrow or the next day or what you could weigh in _____ days if I ate ______. That obviously doesn't work. So, for Monday, April 23, I'm making a decision. For breakfast I'm having oatmeal with berries. For lunch I'm having Weight Watchers Soup with 1/2 cup black beans in it and a side salad. And for dinner I'm having a turkey burger, one serving of sweet potato fries and a salad with a no pudge brownie for dessert. I also am going to the gym after taking Nate to work and I'm going to run 5 miles, or 40 minutes, whichever comes first. I have been running outside, however, it's been so windy that I just can't do it. Some people may say that those are the conditions I may face in October and I should face them in training. What I say in response? Baby steps people.....baby steps. After Nate gets off work, we will go back to the gym and I'll either ride the bike or briskly walk on the treadmill for another 35-40 minutes.

We leave for New Haven on Saturday morning to look for a new home. We will be gone a week. I know that it will be difficult to make wise choices where food is concerned during the week. However, I'm preparing snacks for us to take along - baby carrots, celery sticks, grapes, low fat/high fiber snack bars/cereal bars, bottled water... Although in the first paragraph I mention thinking about today only, I realize that the failure to plan is planning to fail. And so, I will be taking each day as it comes and also encouraging wiser choices in terms of snacks which, will hopefully lead to wiser (ie. not as desperate) choices for meals.

In the housing department, we're actually leaning toward a townhouse/condo. To not be responsible for exterior maintenance and a yard does have strong appeal! However, we're keeping our options open. Our realtor in New Haven says that she doesn't think we'll make an offer while we're there. However, we plan to make a decision of some kind - either finding the place for us and making an offer or finding an apartment to live in short term while we continue the house hunt.

I hope your Monday is a great one!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading my blog! I welcome your comments as we all are on the journey of life together.