Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sick AND Moving

Ah yes, notice that I didn't say, "sick OF moving." Although, that comment would be true as well. It hit me like a ton of bricks around 4:00 yesterday afternoon. It started with the aches - almost like I have a stiff neck - and then the sore throat. By the time we got back to the hotel, it was all I could do to get inside and sit on the couch and stick my bottom lip out as far as it would go and beg for Nate to take care of every need that I had..... poor guy..... he just didn't know what he signed up for when it comes to the care and attention I need demand when sick.

I told him I was in need of medicine, and requested Alka Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine. He went down to the front desk and came back with Alka Seltzer and Tylenol Cold non-drowsy. I turned both of them down and told him not to worry about it, which really means, "prove your complete devotion to me by going out in the pouring rain, finding the nearest pharmacy to meet my needs and do so immediately......please." He went on to other things for a period of time and then, very wisely, as he has learned over the years, said he was going out to get the medicine I wanted but he wanted to know exactly what I needed.

I really am not a fan of being sick in a hotel room. All I want to do is rest, but I can't. I really need to be on the couch right now being lulled to sleep  by the theme song from Gilligan's Island as TVLand comforts me. I need to know I can go and make myself some hot tea and not need to get dressed to go down to the lobby. I need to know that I can stay in bed and not worry that housekeeping will come in while I'm in bed - and no, I don't want to put up the Do Not Disturb sign, because I do want the room fumigated of this bug.

I think of when I was sick as a child. I'd go get my mother who would put me back to bed and then "tickle" my back (which, according to us, is defined as very light scratching). So, I woke up Nate at 1:30 this morning and asked him to please scratch my back. He very nicely did for all of 3 seconds before he rolled back over and fell asleep. So, here I am: 43 years old, wanting to quietly go into my parents' room, poke my mom's shoulder ever so lightly (she has unfairly described this as Chinese Torture) until she wakes and stick out my bottom lip and have her lead me back to bed, tuck me in, and tickle my back until I fall asleep.

Since I can't do that, I'll update all of you on what is going on with the moving!  Our home in Michigan has closed and we are scheduled to close on our new Connecticut house on Wednesday. The movers arrive Thursday, so things are looking good!

Now, I'm going to go crawl back into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading my blog! I welcome your comments as we all are on the journey of life together.